Legal English courses combine working in a small group of a maximum of 5 students in the mornings to develop general English speaking and listening communication skills with 1-to-1 classes in the afternoons.
The 1-to-1 classes will focus on your individual needs and will develop your Legal English vocabulary and communication skills, taking into account your specific line of work. Legal English courses are suitable for lawyers, paralegals, legal secretaries, students of law or professionals working in legal departments. This course can also help you prepare for the Test of Legal English Skills (TOLES).
What to expect:
- develop specific vocabulary for legal English
- improve general and social English language skills and your pronunciation
- enhance your communication skills with English-speaking clients and colleagues
- raise your awareness of intercultural issues and ‘global English’
- practise using English for negotiating, explaining and telephoning
- work on specific legal areas such as contracts, employment law, family law, correspondence
- work on your specific requests
- join one afternoon excursion per week to a place of cultural interest = 3 extra hours of spoken English and listening practice
You will be emailed a 'Needs Analysis' form to complete before the start of your course. During your first 1-to-1 lesson you and your teacher will put together a study plan for your course. We encourage you to be active in the preparation and content of your course.
- 25 or 30 hours per week
- Start any Monday
- Suitable for pre-intermediate to advanced level (A2 – C1)
- Minimum age 18
- Average age of group 25 – 55+
View the timetable here
Legal English Combination Course prices per week 2019
|Total hours per week |
(1 hour = 60 minutes)
|General English group |
maximum 5 students
|Legal English |
|Price (GBP) per week|
|25 hours per week||20 hours||5 hours||1-3 weeks = £610 |
4-6 weeks = £595
|25 hours per week||15 hours||10 hours||1-3 weeks = £775 |
4-6 weeks = £750
|30 hours per week||20 hours||10 hours||1-3 weeks = £820 |
4-6 weeks = £800
|30 hours per week||15 hours||15 hours||1-3 weeks = £925 |
4-6 weeks = £905
*for Legal English Combination Courses of 7 weeks or more, prices are available on request.
All teaching, all materials, one weekly afternoon excursion, tea and coffee at break time, guided self-study, use of books & DVDs, certificate of attendance, end of course progress report, internet/WiFi.
ECS Scotland is a registered TOLES exam centre
If you wish to register for the TOLES Legal English exam, please email us to book your place. The TOLES exam costs £160. If you would like to prepare for the TOLES exam in Edinburgh, you can study an intensive 5-day Legal English course and take the TOLES exam at the end of the course. For information and course dates, please see here.
Other Legal English courses
Who needs Legal English?
What is the difference between General English and Legal English? Who should study a course of Legal English? See here for further information.