Improve your written Legal English skills and gain an internationally recognised TOLES* qualification in Legal English
ECS Scotland is a registered TOLES examination centre in Edinburgh. We will be holding an intensive 5-day Legal English skills and TOLES* exam prepartion course four times per year.
The course will last a total of 40 hours: 30 classroom hours in Edinburgh + 10 hours pre-course tasks in your home country (sent and corrected by email). In keeping with ECS Scotland's small group policy, there will be a maximum of 5 students per group. You will be given a written assessment and oral Skype interview when you apply for the course.
This intensive 30 hour course in Edinburgh focuses on:
- The accurate use of grammar and vocabulary in both written and spoken English
- Legal vocabulary – general and specific
- Developing letter/email writing and drafting skills in good English
- Enhancing negotiating and presentation skills when working in English
- Business and contracts vocabulary
- Preparation for the TOLES* Higher/Advanced exam which is taken at the end of the course
10 hours pre-course Legal English self-study tasks focusing on:
- grammatical accuracy
- Legal and general vocabulary
- Legal English written tasks
- Written assessment and oral Skype interview when you apply for the course
- 30 hours in Edinburgh. 6 classroom hours per day
- Timetable: 9am - 11am / 11.20am - 12.50 / 14.00 - 15.30 / 15.50 - 16.50
- 10 hours pre-arrival tasks (5 x 2 hours) Written tasks emailed and corrected
- Price: £1295
- Price includes: All classroom teaching, all teaching materials, pre-arrival written assessment corrections, Skype interview, TOLES exam, tea/coffee, certificate
- Not included: Flights, accommodation, lunch
If you would like more information or to apply for this course, please email us.
What is the TOLES Legal English exam?
*TOLES (Test of Legal English Skills) is a unique, internationally-recognised examination which can be taken at three distinct levels:
- TOLES ADVANCED - a two-hour exam which tests legal reading, writing and drafting skills, together with knowledge of register and business English language. Suitable for those with a good B2 – C2 level of general English.
- TOLES HIGHER - which tests legal reading and writing skills (90 minutes) and legal listening skills (30-45 minutes). Suitable for those with a B1 – B2 level of general English.
- TOLES FOUNDATION - a test of legal reading and writing (90 minutes), with a focus on practical legal vocabulary. Suitable for those with an A2 level of English upwards.
It is possible to sit the TOLES exam in our exam centre in Edinburgh without taking the course. The exam costs £150. If you wish to sit the exam, please email us and we will send you details and an application form.
See here for information about our other Legal English courses.