What's the difference between 'say' and 'tell' in English. Simply, 'say' doesn't include the object. When we use 'tell' include the object.
Examples with say:
- Karl said that he was hungry.
- Lindsay says 'Hello!'.
- Alex said it was the best film he'd ever seen.
Examples with tell:
- Karl told me to make him some pizza.
- Lindsay told Alex to 'shut up!'
- Alex's boss told him to finish the report by lunchtime.
Are the sentences 'correct' or 'incorrect'?
- "Let's go for a drink", Alex says me.
Incorrect. "let's go for a drink", says Alex.
- Lindsay says me she loves cats and books.
Incorrect. Lindsay said she loves cats and books.
- Karl told me he loves eggs and bacon sandwiches.