How do you feel about group discussions?
Many people feel uncomfortable when discussing a topic in a group. This can be challenging even in our own language.
Try not to worry. There are a number of techniques we can use to build our confidence and to make effective contributions in group discussions.
Watch the video and do the exercise below
Are the following statements true or false
- "In conclusion" is used at the start of a discussion
False - It's used to signal the end of a discussion
- You say "please let me finish" when someone is trying to interrupt you
- "In a nutshell" means briefly or in short
- "You make a very good point and I'd also like to add..." means I don't agree with you
False - It means I agree with you and I'd like to add something else
- "May I say something" is an impolite interruption
False - It's a polite way to interrupt a discussion