If you are feeling a bit under the weather during your stay in Edinburgh, why not try one of our traditional pick me ups. A hot toddy is the perfect tonic. It can be made with or without alcohol. There are many different combinations to try. For example, warm apple juice, honey, lemon and a splash of whisky. Or lemon, honey and Drambuie. How ever you choose to drink it I hope it warms you from the inside out.
- 60ml water
- 3 cloves
- Cinnamon stick
- 1cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 strip of lemon peel
- 60ml whisky
- 2tsp honey
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- Grating of nutmeg
1. Put the water in a small pan along with the spices and peel over a low heat. Bring to a gentle simmer. Meanwhile rinse a heatproof glass with hot water and dry.
2. Pour the whisky into your warmed glass, then pour over hot water and spices. Stir in the honey and lemon juice and taste for sweetness. Top with a little nutmeg, and breathe in deeply.
Watch the video on how to make one.
- Did you like his explanation?
- Can you make your own hot toddy?
- Do you have a similar drink in your country?