Who needs to register with the police in Edinburgh?
If you arrive to the UK from one of the following countries and your visa is for longer than 6 months, you need to register with the police with 7 days of your arrival:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.
If you need to register, this requirement will be written in your passport. This information is subject to change, please check the United Kingdom government website for up-to-date information.
Where can I register with the police in Edinburgh?
Police Headquarters, Nationality Department
Opening times are Monday-Friday 9am-12.30pm.
To register, you will need:
- your passport
- the registration fee - £34 (cash only)
- two passport-size photographs of yourself
- your offer letter or a letter from ECS Scotland confirming which course you are studying and the duration of your course.
The Police may keep your passport for a few weeks so make sure that you don't need your passport during this time (for opening a bank account or signing a contract for a flat).
You must report any of the following changes to the department above within seven working days or you risk a fine of up to £5000 and/or face 6 months in prison:
- If you change your address
- If you change college, school or occupation
- If your marital status changes
- If your landing conditions change
- If you are granted a new extension of stay by the Home Office
- If you are issued with a new passport
- If there is the birth of a child