Let's start with 'and', 'but' and 'or' these are linkers but can you remember how to use them and why we use them?
Remember 'and', 'but' and 'or' are used when we want to join sentences together. This makes learners of English express themselves more clearly. For example:
I like watching English films. I like watching French films. ->
I like watching French and English speaking films.
I like watching French films but not English ones.
I like watching French or English films but not German ones.
Do you know which linker to use?
- I enjoy Spanish _____ Italian TV shows.
- I like coffee ____ tea.
- I'm from Edinburgh _____ I work as a teacher.
- I'm Japanese ______ I live in Edinburgh.
- I have a cat ______ three dogs.
- I like dogs _____ I'm not a fan of cats.